Monday, June 8, 2009

Sisters


Emma and Claire at Grandma Simmons, Nov. 2008


Me and my sisters minus Liz...I don't know where she was!

I am blessed to have 4 sisters in my life. Blessed it the right word because they are my best friends, mentors, confidants, and inspirations.
We were not always like this. Growing up I was like all other siblings and fought with them about clothes mostly. But as we all have grown up we have really become each others biggest support system through our new lives of being wives, having children and becoming adults.
So, you may wonder why I am writing about my best friends but I think it is because I have been thinking a lot about them lately.
Right after I had the boys I was waiting in the recovery room and Kent was bouncing back and forth between me and the boys and then all of a sudden my mom and Sarah peaked around the corner of the curtain and I just started to cry! After Kent had called my mom to let her know we were in the hospital but never called her back, my mom then called the hospital and they told her that I was in surgery. So I guess Sarah and my mom jumped in the car and raced up to be with me and Kent thankfully! They also took care of the phone tree to get the word out that we had the boys and that Mack was being life flighted to Primary's. On top of all that Liz then came to the hospital and Hannah called and Katie came the next day and I felt so much love! Since then I have not gone a day without talking to at least one sister and really probably two or three. Every day! I am so lucky!
So today I watched as my girls worked on their own sister bond. Claire had some therapy today at the house and before it started I told Emma that it was Claire's thing and that as long as she was quiet she could stay and watch and hopefully help out. I then sat on the couch and watched while the therapist worked with Claire. It was so amazing to watch Emma say "yah, Claire! Good Job Claire!" every time Claire was able to use her left hand and do what the therapist was asking. It was so sweet for me to think that they are building their relationship at such young ages. I don't know if they will have the same fights I did with my sisters...I am sure they will. But I do know that they are lucky to have each other.
There is nothing like sisters. Don't you agree?

4 comments:

miccolene said...

Maria I am totally with you here! My sisters are my best friends and I feel so sad for people who only have brothers! Like you, we weren't always the best of friends but it seems the older we get, the closer we become. I am so thankful to have TWO sisters every single day.

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

What a sweet post! I think it is so cool you have several sisters to rely on. I am grateful that i have one!

Chrislyn Woolston said...

It is so neat to hear you talk about your sisters. Coming from a family of 6 girls, I totally agree! Now that I am entering the "wife & mother" stage, I can totally see how much more important those relationships are.
Thanks for being a friend that plays a role as a sister sometimes since mine are so far away!
you're amazing, Maria! we miss you lots and hope to see you and the kids soon!

Becki said...

Cute post Maria! I think it is so awesome that you and your sisters are so close and that you have lifelong best friends. What a cute story about Emma cheering on Claire too!