Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A little Blue...



These pictures were taken just after we got Pocket by our great friend Becki.

I am a bit sad and felt like I needed to write about it to just get it off my mind. Does anyone else do that? I am sure you all do it in a more private forum but me...why not just spill it out for the whole world to read?!

Here it goes...
Today I dropped the girls off to riding lessons at G. Simmons barn and went to run some errands. When I went back to pick them up and Mitchell (our incredible riding instructor and friend) told me that I needed to talk to Mike (the barn guru) about Pocket. For those of you who don't remember Pocket is our incredibly small and cute pony that we bought for Claire right after she was diagnosed. He has been a great therapy pony for us.

Anyway- it turns out that Pocket is really sick. We knew he had a small tumor on his nose the past couple of years and it has been not a big deal. Well over the weekend it grew really big and has made Pocket really sick. In short our small pony is going in for surgery on Friday. We don't know what the outcome will be and I am sad.

I tried to not cry but got teary eyed when I spoke to Mitchell about it again. I then told the girls about everything. Man! It was so sad! I told them that Pocket might not make it through the surgery and that we needed to be ready if that was the case. They handled it well for being 6 and 4. I think it is me who is really moved by this experience. I feel like this is one of those parenting moments that I can handle well or really screw up. I am not sure if I have done either just yet. All I know is that I am hoping that Heavenly Father heard the little girls prayers tonight when they both asked Him to help Pocket to be OK.
I hope he hears my prayers as well. To know how to handle this either way.

Man this parenting thing is tough!!!

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Maria. That is a tough conversation to have with the kids. I'm already dreading a similar one we'll be having when our cat finally gets to that point. Good luck - and BTW, what darling pics of the girls and Pocket.

The Collett Family said...

Poor Pocket- I hope it all goes well on Friday! I'm so glad you have those beautiful pictures of the girls with him. So sweet!!

Unknown said...

That is a super sad story! Well good luck to all of you Friday...

Circe said...

Oh, we love Pocket! I hope the surgery goes well. The pictures are precious! I'm sure you'll say just the right thing. good luck!

Natty said...

You're a fantastic momma, Maria! I'm sorry to hear about Pocket. I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Tell Mitchell hi for me the next time you see him. I used to babysit him with Kim. He had the cutest curly red hair!

Becki said...

Tough parenting moment but I agree that you will (as always) handle this great and the girls will learn from you. So sad.