Monday, October 13, 2008

Food Storage Anyone?

So since recent world events have been happening, (you all know of them, I don't really need to remind) Kent and I have once again been reminded and kicking ourselves for not being better prepared. How long have we been told to get our homes, families and lives prepared by having food storage and how long have we been procrastinating?

We have decided that procrastination is no longer an option, so we are going to take the plunge and get our rears in gear. I have found out today by researching our options for the year supply of food storage that we are not alone in this boat! While that makes me feel happy that we are not the only ones, I also realize that we need to be quick about it so that there is something left for those of us in the procrastinating arena.

Here is my question to the blogging world. What do you do for food storage and emergency preparedness? I have checked out the websites www.providentliving.org as well as the Emergency Essentials website. (just a side note, if you live in Utah and go to there store things are much cheaper than online) I have been to Costco this morning pricing out things I would feel my family would eat as well as the idea of having a separate freezer in the garage. Does anyone have any other ideas? I am open to all suggestions and please...don't judge us because we have been listening but not acting for far too long. :) We all ready know that!

8 comments:

Kelly V. said...

Hey Maria & Kent. I just thought I would let you know that I recently found out that several wards have a dry pack machine that you can "check out" to take home and use. It's like doing dry pack at your house instead of at the cannery. You can buy the #10 cans from the church, and then go to Costco or whatever and can all you want to! The machine is to attach the lid to the #10 can. Check with your ward prepardness person to see if they have the machine. If not, I highly recommend going to the cannery and doing dry/wet pack. This year they have had a huge run on items and so you might not be able to get all they used to offer. They do have some good things for short term storage like pancake mix which I use all the time. Also, don't forgot to get some water stored. I use plastic gallons to make it easy to transport if necessary. This time of year is good to hit the case lot sales at Smiths or Harmons or wherever - but they may be over by now. Also this month is a good time to get spices for cheap at the grocery store. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Kelly

Maria said...

thanks! I will check into it!

Hannah said...

Hi, I found your blog when I was googling food storage.

If you need any extra help, feel free to check out our blog! We break down food storage step-by-step so it's doable (and enjoyable!). We also have lots of recipes that use non-perishable foods only. I'm sure our blog can help you out.

Good luck!
Hannah @
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

mama fish said...

Just want to let you know that you are not alone. After eight years of marriage, we just barely hit the case lot sale a few weeks ago to start our food storage. It was funny because Nate and I were both prompted this summer to get it together and get going on this. We are still a long way out, but much closer on being prepared. I have been trying to find a few items on sale, week by week and buying six months-a years supply of that item. It seems pretty overwhelming for a family of four, but eventually we will get it done. Good luck!

Becki said...

We are totally in the same boat! Better late than never, huh! We are looking into getting a supply of freeze dried food storage cause the shelf life is much longer than cans (I believe it is good for like 15-20 years or something insane like that.) Adam knows some people that we are going to go through for this locally and so let me know if you are interested. It's a little more pricey up front, but is worth it in the long run since you don't have to rotate and replace for years. We also got those water storage containers for pretty cheap and I think I still have the contact info on that too if interested. I hear ya though...it makes me nervous every day that passes when we don't do anything to prepare. Good luck!! Oh, and if you find any good deals on freezers for your garage, let me know :)

Unknown said...

There is a relatively new line of food storage products called Thrive that is sold by www.shelfreliance.com They are really good quality and taste really good. Like becki mentioned, freeze dried food has many advantages. Also, if you use code Save10 you can save 10% at checkout.

miccolene said...

The people that did my wedding photography also run a service called thereadyproject.com They have packs all prepared and then they just send them to you. I've heard good things about them, how they taste, etc.

Good luck with your project!

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

Oh we need to do this too. I really feel so helpless when it comes to food storage and have NO idea where to start. So I won't be of much help to you on this one, but let me know what you find out.