Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I think I figured it out....I hope!



Oh Emma....I love you soooooo much but would you please just go to bed?

So I have had a problem the past few years with my oldest child. It is the problem of bedtime. It goes in waves of good and really, really bad. Like fighting 5 hours and putting a pillow over your head and trying to just survive. (Don't judge...all of you that have kids know you have been there!!!)

I think I have finally found the solution...I think! Let me start by explaining that we have tried everything with the exception of locking her in her room as Kent was very adamant that we would not do that. The solution came to me Sunday night while fighting yet again at around 10:30pm. I simply told her "Emma, I don't care where you sleep but from now on how ever long it takes for you to stay in your room and go to bed will be the amount of time you will stay in your room tomorrow."
So for instance on Monday had you come to our house you would have found Emma sitting in her room for 5 hours since she took 5 hours to go to bed the night before. Today she spent 1.5 hours in her room. Tomorrow will be 45 min. It is getting smaller each day and I have hope that tomorrow night will be less. I just wanted to blog about this as I feel like we have finally made a huge milestone with her. Let's hope I am not speaking too soon!!! Anyone else have bedtime problems with their kids? What do you do?

11 comments:

Circe said...

That photo says it all! I had no idea Emma was so incredibly tenacious, but that quality will serve her well in life. We have fought all the bedtime battles, and I have no advice to offer. It sounds like you finally have a solution! It feels good to crack down and make a breakthrough sometimes. Now on to the next challenge! :)

Becki said...

what a great idea!! I hope it continues to work for you guys. That picture is priceless!! Should be framed and hung in her room!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! It is genius!!! Maybe I will try that! Alissa is the same way, but her problem is also staying in bed for the whole night. I don't think I have had a decent nights sleep since Abby was born 2.5 years ago! I am willing to try ANYTHING! And I have been there with the pillow over the head thing!

Becca Jo said...

Eli takes forever to go to sleep. I don't really care as long as he doesn't come out and bug me...which he doesn't. Bedtime is so hard! It's the time when you are just done with your kids and you don't want to see their face until the morning. This winter has been really bad but I think that maybe he doesn't get enough energy out during the day. I don't know. I hope that you have solved your problem!

allypally said...

That is a seriously brilliant idea! I hope it keeps working. You must have nerves of steel, both for the initial five hours and the five hours the next day...

Jennie said...

If this doesn't work, talk to Circe about the sticker chart or whatever it was she used for Xanthe. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Oh but she is so CUTE! Yeah parenting.... whew I don't know how some people do it!

Chrislyn Woolston said...

Oh I just giggled through this entire post (maybe from personal experiences with this vibrant child of yours...just maybe...wink!) and at the end, as always, said, "once again, Maria is AMAZING!" Can't wait to hear how this works...you brilliant mother you!
miss you all lots!

Jaimers said...

That's a fantastic solution! We're all for that sort of solution in our home. I hope it's still going well. I love the pic of her, too!xx

Padgett Hoke said...

first of all that picture of Emma is so stinking cute, I hope your trick is still working! Second - I loved your ideas. My question is - how do I get in touch with the Antiques Roadshow? Cause I would! There have been some good suggestions, but I still ponder! If you have some in with the roadshow - fantastic! Anyway, love when I get to hear from you, love those little kiddies of yours, and love to hear your parenting woes and triumphs! xo

Krissy said...

Awesome idea. Can I force my 2-year-old to stay in his room for 5 hours too!? :/ I have the same problems and fear they will last forever!!! That sounds like a good plan when he's older and will understand. Anyway, glad to know I'm not the only one! Good luck! I hope you have found a permanent solution!