Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Logan 1/2 marathon


On August 23 I achieved a goal I set for myself last April. I wanted to try and get back in to shape since I haven't been since high school and started running again. With the help of my cousin Alan and Elizabeth's running advice I set small goals with the big goal being to run a 1/2 marathon. I didn't need to do it fast, I just wanted to run the entire way and have the sense of accomplishment of running 13 miles.

So here are the pictures to prove it! I ran with Kent's niece Ally and her dad Jeff. They were awesome and I was so happy to have company. Now I need help...does anyone have any other ideas of how to stay motivated with the fitness program? I am not sure I am ready for a full marathon (since I swore I would never run one!) but need something. I work much better with goals!

If you have any ideas I am always open to suggestions!:)

9 comments:

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

Way to go Maria! I wish I had your motivation. I keep trying the running thing and it just doesn't work for me. But so nice for you I am sure that you can check that goal off. Hmm... as far as how to stay motivated I would think you may have to push yourself to run a marathon or perhaps just another half somewhere? Seems like that would always be something to work for.

allypally said...

Well, if you don't want to do a full marathon, how about a triathlon??

I'm in awe. I couldn't do it. Ever.

Well done!

Padgett Hoke said...

Yipee! I am so happy that you did it, Congratulations! I knew you could do it, cold and all! Just keep things interesting by changing up your routine, biking, hiking sprint running and distance running. I have recently been attempting jump roping (I thought it would be to easy but to my great surprise...it is not.) Anyway just some thoughts...congrats again!

Circe said...

Congrats, Maria! Claire looked so cute today...it was fun to see your kids. Sarah and I have threatened to sign up for a yoga class. Maybe if we did it together.. Whatever you do, you have to have a partner in crime!

Mitch said...

Good job Maria! Amy and I both agree in order to stay motivated you need to sign up or determine what your next goal is and start working towards it. I always tell myself I will do it tomorrow if I don't have a goal. It's late in the season and now is the time to maintain what you have achieved and look forward to next year if you plan on doing more 1/2 marathons.

SSWS said...

WAY TO GO MEEP! Why are all my sisters into running or tennis? It inspires me, but I think the gene skipped me......

jonelle said...

Amazing! I am so glad you accomplished your goal. I hope you had a fun race. I always love the excitement that comes on race day!

mama fish said...

That is awesome! I was thinking of running the Huntsville half, but I couln't stop making chocolate chip cookies.:) You should set a goal of running the wasatch back relay(Ragnar)or something. My sis-in-law ran it this year and had a blast. I'm seriously considering it, if I can stop the cookie making and start the training!

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations, Maria! Way to go! I would say shoot for another 1/2 Marathon and go for a better time!