Friday, March 5, 2010

Part 3....What to do when your child is smarter than you?


I GIVE UP!

I just want to state it here and now. I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I am doing as a parent and that Emma is smarter than me. There. I said it! Don't get me wrong, I am laughing as I write this because I can't even believe it. Perhaps I am in denial...hmmm....there's a thought?

Today I did the last ditch attempt to keep her in her room. I bought the baby door knob handle and tried to lock her in her room. She has 2 hours to do and she was fighting me tooth and nail to do it. So after a couple of agonizing guilty moments (which was not helped with every article on the internet telling me that I should not lock my child in her room for fear of emotionally scarring her for life!) I went back up stairs to chat with her.

I knocked on the door quietly with Morgan in hand, you know, to keep me patient, and went in to find that she had successfully taken the lock off her door knob(because she couldn't figure out how to open the door!) and was laying on the floor eating a sucker. A sucker that she had smuggled in with a bunch of other treats for moments like this one. Yep. She had unlocked her door had a treat and was just hanging out until her time is done. I just laughed and hugged her. Really. What would you have done? So I have now thrown in the towel. She is smarter than me and there is nothing I can do about it!

Well played Emma...well played!

7 comments:

K Phip said...

Yes. She has won.

Padgett Hoke said...

ahh, at least you know that she will indeed be the smartest crayon in the box, and not the opposite! I guess you just need to figure out how to out-smart the smart.

good luck! xo

Unknown said...

Oh Maria... I love you. I love you because your honesty makes me realize I am normal. I like that. <3

miccolene said...

oh my word, what a smart little girl. She certainly keeps you on your toes!

Circe said...

Hooray for Emma! And for you...you can never go wrong with laughing and hugging. Good idea, holding a baby to keep you calm!

Emily said...

That kind of tenacity has it's place and I bet she'll use it to do great things someday. Good for you for the laugh and hug. That is hilarious!

Sara and Company said...

Sleep has totally kicked my butt. I've completely failed with that one. Every time I feel like I'm making progress, it comes back to haunt me. Kids are amazing....in SOOOO many diverse ways. I wish you all the luck in the world so that one day you can actually get a little sleep!!! Silly girl!