Sunday, April 5, 2009

One week today!!!



So it was one week ago today that we had the boys! I can't believe it has only been a week as it has felt like a month at least. Kent and I are surviving and the girls have been absolutely wonderful! Other than the fact Emma and Claire haven't seen the boys yet they are perfectly happy playing with cousins and grandmas and friends everyday. To them it is like a little vacation!

Mack is doing much better. They finally found a medicine that is working for his heart and he hasn't had any episodes since 3/31 which is fantastic. He is actually starting to try and feed from a bottle and is in an open air bassinet which is really great. He still weighs just under 4 pounds but in all we couldn't be more happy with his progress in one week. He will probably be in Primary Children's until he comes home but we can handle it for a couple of more weeks. I think!:)

Morgan is great as well. He is still in an incubator which is kinda a bummer as it is a lot harder to just sit and watch him like we do Mack. He has gotten his IV out of his head and also a major IV which was in his belly button out the past 2 days and that is great for us! Both boys are off oxygen and breathing room air which is a huge step for us as that is one of the requirements for them to come home. We still have a long way to go but I will take any progress as a blessing.

One quick little story which I would like to share about this week was a pretty special experience for me. On Friday night Kent and I had our date night by going and visiting the boys. We visited Mack first and then rushed to Ogden to make it to Morgan's 8pm feeding. After having a romantic meal at McKay Dee cafeteria we headed up to see how he was doing that day. The room was quiet and Kent and I were just saying how much Morgan looked like my Grandpa Simmons. (It could possibly be the hair from the eyebrows up to his hair like:)) and for those of you who don't know which is probably everyone we decided to name Morgan, Morgan Simmons Phippen. Very fitting! Anyway, back to the story we got to talking to his night shift nurse and it happened that she grew up in Kaysville as well. We were talking about where we both grew up and I had said, "Do you know where the barn in on Crestwood Rd" and she said " Oh the Simmons place." I was surprised that she knew and she continued to tell me that she happened to be one of my grandpa's nurses a couple of years ago and told me some great stories about my grandma and grandpa.
I left the NICU on Friday night almost crying. I told Kent that my grandparents were watching out for us and especially our little guys. I could possibly be "reading into" this experience too much but it is a very big coincidence that the nurse on Morgan on Friday night was one of the same nurses for Grandpa. To me it was a miracle. Thanks G & G!!! I miss you and love you!

Throughout this entire week Kent and I have felt peace and miracles and blessings bestowed upon us. I have been carried through this week and I want to thank you all for your prayers on our behalf!!! We are doing great and it is because of our family and friends who have supported us this week!!! THANKS SOOOO MUCH!!!!

Here are some updated pictures of Mack Williams and Morgan Simmons. What do you think? Do they look alike?

On the top is Mack and on the bottom is Morgan.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!! We are so excited for you and happy that both boys are doing well. I am a little jealous that you don't have to be pregnant anymore---oh well I can go another six weeks!!! Again, congratulations!

much love,
Lauryn

allypally said...

I'm so happy to hear that they're doing so well... and I think we might be related!!! Jeff's mom is a Simmons from Kaysville... we'll have to talk more about that!!!

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

What wonderful progess in such little time. I don't think you are reading into that story too much either. They are beautiful boys and I hope week 2 brings just as much progess.

Allie and Fam said...

What a blessing! We met so many wonderful nurses/parents in the NICU, that it's almost hard to look at our time like a trial! It sounds like you guys are enduring it all very well. We are thinking and praying for you guys!!

Lillibet said...

Maria and Kent - great news! We are watching for updates carefully and love the progress. Thanks for letting us all know. We love you! All the Hokes

Circe said...

I'm sure your grandpa had a hand in choosing these boys! The are perfect. They must be so small, I can't imagine! Hang in there!

Wheels and Millen said...

What a blessing that grandpa's nurse is watching over him. How special!! You are so right about grandma and grandpa watching over your boys! Congratulations on their progress!! Such happy news! We'll keep all 6 of you in our thoughts and prayers and cant wait to meet Mack and Morgan :) Love to you all! xoxo, Wheels & Millen

Jennie said...

Maria, they are beautiful! I'm so happy they are doing so well. I hope their progress continues at a rapid pace so that they can come home soon. I loved your Simmons story. What a neat experience. And no... I don't think you were reading in to it. I really do think we are watched and protected. :)